Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Starwberry Tea and Rainbow Squares

Last night we had our Strawberry Tea. We also stitched all of our Rainbow Squares together. The ladies all work furiously at stitching before they were rewarded with lovely strawberries, shortbread fingers, scones with jam and clotted cream and teas and coffee.
We had a really good evening. A big thank you from me to all of those involved in setting everything up and for everyone who sat furiously stitching squares together.They look really good. It is much appreciated.
I made the scones and was asked for the recipe.

So here it is . I do hope you will try it and let me know what you think. These scones are not like traditional scones - they do keep well for several days. The recipe came from a handwritten recipe book that belonged to my Mother-in law, sadly, no longer with us. I was dleighted when I first tried the recipe as my husband said they tasted just as re remembered them from when his mother used to bake them. Praise indeed.

So here it is
Grandma’s Bun Scones

Ingredients:
4oz self raising flour
4 oz of caster sugar (I use much less as I don’t like things really sweet)
2 oz of butter (or margarine) I use about 1 ½ as it seems to rub better
1 beaten egg (you can add a little milk if you like – I use a large egg)

Method:
Put flour and sugar in a bowl, rub in the fat and then mix in the beaten egg.
Do not use the whole egg, just half of it to start off with and then add a little more if the mixture isn’t binding together into a soft ball.
You don’t want the mixture to be sticky but neither do you want it to be too dry.
Knead the ball slightly with your hand and if it is a bit sticky sprinkle some flour over it.

I make about 10 balls from the mixture using my hands and place them on a baking tray that has parchment paper on it.
Use the remaining egg to spread over the top of each scone.

Bake at 180 degrees for about 15 mins – test for browness and doneness! I always think you have to judge finished baking by your own oven – if not quite done give them another 5 minutes so – it isn’t crucial!
When baked they will have spread and look more like biscuits.

I have also baked them in one of those flippy floppy baking trays – placed on a metal tray. Then they come out more traditional scone shaped.

These are not like traditional scones – but they are delicious and unlike normal scones they will keep for several days!! (Bonus)!

Enjoy

No comments: