Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Mountmellick Workshop

Today we had a wonderful workshop with Rubina Porter teaching us how to do Mountmellick Embroidery. Ruby is a lovely lady who gave so willingly and generously of of her time and her expertise.

She is a trustee of Shishu Polli Plus. (Here you can read all about the project). She told us all about the work that she does out in Bangladesh and brought a lot of beautiful items made by the ladies at the centre.  If you look at the 'news and events' section on the website you will see that they have formed an Embroiderers' Guild group.  We had a really good day and we were all so quiet because we were so engrossed in what we were doing and listening to Ruby.

Ruby brought several cushions worked in Mountmellick. They were all worked on cream silk.

Ruby's cushions

ruby-1  ruby-3

ruby-2

Work in Progress

WIP-2 WIP3 
WIP-1  

WIP4
This is my piece - I have deviated slightly by using some darker shades!!! (There's always one)!!!

These pictures were taken at the centre in Bangladesh.  (Don't mention the apostrophe)!

sreepur3 sreepur2 sreepur1

This last picture shows some of the items that Ruby brought show us.  These are produced by the women in Bangladesh and sold here to provide money to support the project.

sreepur4

2 comments:

Sandra Kedzlie said...

Hi. Ann
One of my favourite techniques - I did a lot when I did C&G and loved it. Something I should do again I think - a real traditional technique - wonderful
Sandra

Sandra Kedzlie said...

Hi. Ann
One of my favourite techniques - I did a lot when I did C&G and loved it. Something I should do again I think - a real traditional technique - wonderful
Sandra